Re: Disks renamed after update to 'testing'...?

On 2020-08-20 14:58, Andy Smith wrote:

... dm-integrity can now be used with LUKS (with or
without encryption) to add checksums that force a read error when
they don't match. When there is redundancy (e.g. LVM or MD) a read
can then come from a good copy and the bad copy will be repaired.

So, LVM and md RAID do not checksum data blocks -- they need a disk to report a failed read before they realize something is wrong?

Here is a practical example:

     https://gist.github.com/MawKKe/caa2bbf7edcc072129d73b61ae7815fb

Thanks for the link. I recall reading about dm-integrity sometime in the past, but my rotten old brain must have screwed it up. At least I wasn't hallucinating when I guessed that LUKS had checksums. 8-O

My Debian 9 and cryptsetup are now looking even older and more inferior.

Does the Debian 10 installer make use of, or allow the use of, dm-integrity and/or cryptsetup with the --integrity option? If not, does the necessary software exist in the d-i kernel, BusyBox, whatever, so I can do it by hand with the rescue console/ alternate virtual console?

David

p.s.  Similar statements can be made for OpenZFS native encryption:

https://openzfs.org/wiki/ZFS-Native_Encryption

https://openzfs.org/wiki/OpenZFS_Developer_Summit_2016#Presentations