Re: Debian 10.3

On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 15:33:25 -0600
Bob Price <norman72@charter.net> wrote:

> I installed 10.3 when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I saw
> 10.4 come out so I went to that and was highly disappointed. I did
> not like the idea that the icons were hidden and some hard to get to.
> So I waited until 10.5 came out and went to that with the same
> problems. I hated it. I went back to my 10.3 dvd installer after I
> formatted my HD, but it would not install the same version I had
> originally. It went to the 10.4 & 10.5 structure.  How come?

Because the installer will install from the CD-ROM image, and then
upgrade as part of the installation. So installing from a 10.3 CD will
always produce a 10.X where X is the latest.

You could bypass that by doing an expert installation. However, you
would then have to forbear upgrading ever again, which leave you
vulnerable to insecurities that will go unfixed. That I recommend
against.

This sounds more like a problem with your desktop than with Debian,
which you did not indicate.

I suggest you go ahead and install to 10.5, and upgrade daily or every
few days, as customary. I don't know what's going on with your icon
issue (not least because you didn't indicate the desktop). I will
suggest you take that up with people who are familiar with that
desktop, such as folks on this list, and the upstream support for your
desktop.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com