Re: After software update systemd runs into timeouts

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> It's of course possible to reopen the bug if it still exists, though
> stretch is oldstable now and in LTS mode.

I plan to upgrade to buster, but only after August 15th.

> On a server it might be possible to simply not use systemd-logind.  E.g.
> (at least on buster) libpam-systemd is only recommended by systemd and
> openssh-server.

Although 'aptitude why' only shows libpam-systemd is recommended by
systemd, I cannot purge it since other packages seem to depend on it:

    # aptitude why libpam-systemd
    i   systemd Recommends libpam-systemd
    # aptitude purge libpam-systemd
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      libpam-systemd{p}
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 379 kB will be freed.
     policykit-1 : Depends: libpam-systemd but it is not going to be installed

         Remove the following packages:
    1)     libvirt-daemon-system [3.0.0-4+deb9u4 (now, oldstable)]
    2)     policykit-1 [0.105-18+deb9u1 (now, oldstable)]

         Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
    3)     needrestart recommends libpam-systemd | sysvinit-core
    4)     openssh-server recommends libpam-systemd
    5)     systemd recommends libpam-systemd
    6)     virt-manager recommends libvirt-daemon-system (>= 1.2.7)
    7)     xserver-xorg-core recommends libpam-systemd

    Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

Should this be considered a bug?  Shouldn't 'aptitude why' show the
packages that depend on it?

urs