Re: After software update systemd runs into timeouts

Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> The package 'needrestart' hooks into APT and offers to restart any
> affected services.

Thx, I didn't know needrestart until today, but learned about in in
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=770135 and
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=823987.

But regardless of using needrestart or finding grepping them from the
output of lsof, it seems systemd has problems with it or dbus being
restarted.

The bug is obviously nearly 6 years old but hasn't been fixed yet.

I have spent much time today restarting dbus, ssh, and/or several
systemd services in different order.  Also systemctl daemon-reexec.
Nothing seems to help and it seems systemd bugs again force me to
reboot.  But I am currently 700 km away from my server for the next
1.5 weeks and noone else has access to it.  So I'd prefer not to risk
it.

urs