Re: Are the assigned capacities sufficient for my setup?

On Sun 02 Aug 2020 at 14:09:50 (-0500), Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> On 8/1/2020 10:43 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > >
> > > 	I don't implement a separate partition for /home.  Instead, I place it on
> > > my data array where it gets backed up nightly
> >
> > This may be a problem for the original poster, who has only
> > admitted to a laptop, nothing else.
>
> 	I must have missed that.
>
> > > RAID 1 array formatted as ext2.  Since /boot almost never gets written,
> > > there is no need for journalling.  That leaves a full 98G for / on a pair of
> >
> > I don't understand why you think journalling takes an excessive
> > amount of space
>
> 	I never said it does.  It does take up a little space, but not a
> significant amount.  What does take up space is /home, which can get
> to be huge.  Even on a laptop, making /home a part of the largest
> partition is a good idea.

What it sharing the partition with /home? And what is it's
mountpoint?

> Giving it its own partition permanently
> sequesters any space allocated to the purpose, to no particular
> advantage.  Making it simply a directory on the largest drive target
> frees up all the unused space for other use.  Even on most laptops,
> the largest partition is usually not /,

Which one is, usually?

> and in any case, as mentioned
> previously, it is generally better for / and /home to be on separate
> targets.

In the previous post, we had "data array" aka "data repository",
SSDs for booting, and a NAS or file server (whose data repository
needs to be huge), plus a "single set of array spindles".

With that wide choice, I'm not clear what "targets" are, nor how
all these different items are arranged with respect to the PC
itself (or which are entirely separate entities).

> This does not mean /home has to be on a separate partition
> of its own.
>
> , or why you would go out of your way to turn it
> > off. Ever. Turning off safety mechanisms is generally not
> > something anyone should advocate without a big flashing warning
> > sign.
>
> 	Journalling is only a safety mechanism if the file system is being
> written.  Since /boot is to all intents and purposes never written,
> journaling does nothing for it.  The /boot partition can be mounted
> read-only, as a matter of fact.

What are the benefits of /boot on a RAID? Does that mean that a RAID
has to be assembled even before the PC can boot up?

Cheers,
David.