Re: Are the assigned capacities sufficient for my setup?

On 8/1/2020 10:43 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Leslie Rhorer wrote:
On 7/29/2020 11:38 AM, Charlie Gibbs wrote:
As for partition sizing, I set up my machines with three partitions:
/, /home, and swap.

	I don't implement a separate partition for /home.  Instead, I place it on
my data array where it gets backed up nightly

This may be a problem for the original poster, who has only
admitted to a laptop, nothing else.

	I must have missed that.

RAID 1 array formatted as ext2.  Since /boot almost never gets written,
there is no need for journalling.  That leaves a full 98G for / on a pair of

I don't understand why you think journalling takes an excessive
amount of space

I never said it does. It does take up a little space, but not a significant amount. What does take up space is /home, which can get to be huge. Even on a laptop, making /home a part of the largest partition is a good idea. Giving it its own partition permanently sequesters any space allocated to the purpose, to no particular advantage. Making it simply a directory on the largest drive target frees up all the unused space for other use. Even on most laptops, the largest partition is usually not /, and in any case, as mentioned previously, it is generally better for / and /home to be on separate targets. This does not mean /home has to be on a separate partition of its own.

, or why you would go out of your way to turn it
off. Ever. Turning off safety mechanisms is generally not
something anyone should advocate without a big flashing warning
sign.

Journalling is only a safety mechanism if the file system is being written. Since /boot is to all intents and purposes never written, journaling does nothing for it. The /boot partition can be mounted read-only, as a matter of fact.