Re: BIOS time fine, Linux/Debian's isn't! ...

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 07:19:12AM -0400, Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  I used the same laptop with another hard drive with a Windows
> installation which shows the time correctly.
>
>  How do you make Linux get the time from the BIOS at start time and
> take it from there?

Your posts are sometimes nearly... whimsical.

By how much is "Debian time" off? In what timezone do you live?

Background (as another poster has already hinted at in this thread):
Windows is totally naive wrt time: it expects the BIOS clock to
reflect the local time (DST included). Therefore, the BIOS clock
has to be massaged twice a year (if your timezone does the DST
thing).

There is a way to tell hwclock to interpret the BIOS clock at boot
time: you set HWCLOCKPARS in /etc/default/hwclock (CAVEAT: UNTESTED!)
like so:

HWCLOCKPARS=-l

("-l" is for "local", the default being "-u" for UTC). In the default
config file, this line is commented out with a '#' at the beginning;
make sure to remove that.

Should HWCLOCKPARS be set to something, just add the "-l" at the end,
separated by some whitespace.

Note that this localtime thing is discouraged, there are some ways
for it to go wrong (notably, local times are ambiguous in the Spring
change).

Microsoft and time. They didn't miss any opportunity to get it wrong.
Each time.

Cheers
-- t