Re: Need help with PATH variable (i3/debian buster)

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Every type of login follows a completely different set of steps for
> configuring your environment.  Reconciling these and achieving a uniform
> environment across all possible login types is *extremely* difficult,
> if not impossible.

It's more or less a layer model with different entry points into different
layers.

A GUI login performs a login type with more graphical features. Therefore,
when starting a shell is a subprocess of an already performed login, and a
.*login isn't required anymore.

Login on console instead executes the login shell.

Same is for a remote login like SSH (and for the old men: rsh).

And: a .profile (or .<shell>rc) is always executed, as it isn't related to
the circumstance, if it's a login process or a subprocess of a login.

Note: I'm starting a tcsh not a bash as my (login) shell. Therefore I'm
writing the file names in a more abstract way to fit for both.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel
GnuPG-Key-ID: 1024R/5068792D  1994-06-27