Re: Lenovo S205 boot

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 04:38:20AM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> On an older Lenovo S205 on which I never have managed to get Debian
> running, I did a netinstall of
> debian-bullseye-DI-alpha2-amd64-netinst.iso

Uh it's been a while since
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Lenovo/ideapadS205/wheezy

But lately I repurposed that for some test and had
Alpine installed, so in general it's still well supported by
Linux. Maybe I managed some time next week to give it a try with
Debian again.

> grub dummy failed, but the boot process terminates with the grub>
> prompt.  I tried the ls command:
>
> grub> ls
> (proc) (hd0) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,pt1)
>
> and I am able to boot manually by typing in grub commands:
>
> grub> root=(hd0,gpt2)
> grub> linux /vmlinuz root=dev/sda2
> grub> initrd /initrd.img
> grub> boot

Ok so the grub issues are still there one way or another.
Maybe you can take a look at what got generated in
/boot/grub/grub.cfg

> The boot now proceeds, but the stream of messages terminates with the
> line:
>
> IPV6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp2so: link becomes ready

Ignore it, probably link local auto configuration. Nothing to worry about.

> and the GUI interface does not start.

Did you install a complete desktop environment?

Sven