Re: Are the assigned capacities sufficient for my setup?

gajuph4pre@yahoo.com wrote:
> You wrote: Any partition (actually, the filesystem) can be mounted as any directory.
>
> What are the commands to mount a partition as a directory please?
>
> I am a bit confused: the file system consists of partitions such a / , /boot , /home , /var , /etc and so on..... Don't they appear as directories?

Let's clarify some terminology.

A disk is a permanent storage device, regardless of whether it's
a spinning hard disk, a solid-state disk, or some new
technology.

Disks need a filesystem (what Windows calls a format) written to
them to organize the data. There are filesystems which use raw
disks, but most want or can use a partitioning scheme that
separates areas of the disk so that multiple filesystems can
share it. There are also filesystems that span multiple disks.

"The" filesystem is the tree that the kernel builds at boot
time, starting with a / entry and creating directories
underneath it, and mounting other filesystems in the place of
some of those directories.

Most of that gets done automatically because the system has a
configuration file that says:

mount a filesystem of this kind, identified that way, at this
location.

And you can also mount filesystems by hand, if you have root
permissions:

mount -t ext4  /dev/sdb3 /mnt/foobar

means an Extended-4 filesystem, located at the third partition
of the second SCSI-class disk, to be joined at /mnt/foobar.

mount -t swap /dev/sda6

means a filesystem prepared to act as swap space, located at the
sixth partition of the first SCSI-class disk, to be joined into
the special swap system.

Special systems may also create apparent filesystems with no
physical disks behind them: tmpfs makes a filesystem in RAM,
procfs makes a filesystem that dynamically shows process
information, sysfs makes a filesystem that dynamically shows
kernel system information.

You probably want to read  https://debian-handbook.info/

-dsr-