Re: Are the assigned capacities sufficient for my setup?

gajuph4pre@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have manually partitioned my hard disk drive as follows:
>
> /boot is assigned 200MB
> /root is assigned 10GB
> /swap is assigned 20GB
> /home is assigned 35GB
> /var is assigned 10GB
> /usr is assigned 5GB
> /usr-local is assigned 5GB
> /opt is assigned 5GB
> /srv is assigned 5GB
>
> In terms of capacity, which of the above partitions are over-provisioned?

All of them, none of them. These are the sorts of hard
assignments I expect from the UNIX Systems Administrator
Handbook, circa 1997 and Solaris.

My recommendation:

/       100 GB
/home   100 GB
swap 1 GB
optionally, /var 20 GB.

You don't need a separate /boot unless you're running an odd
filesystem for root.

You don't need more swap than 1 GB because any use of swap after
the kernel settles things down (say, ten minutes after boot)
means that you need more RAM. And you don't really need more
RAM.

You don't need a separate /usr or /usr/local or /opt or /srv
under any conditions. That differentiation comes from a time
when disks were tens of megabytes.

You only need a separate /var if you think you're going to fill
up log space or similar without noticing. logrotate is pretty
standard these days.

-dsr-