Re: Are the assigned capacities sufficient for my setup?

You wrote: Any partition (actually, the filesystem) can be mounted as any directory.

What are the commands to mount a partition as a directory please?

I am a bit confused: the file system consists of partitions such a / , /boot , /home , /var , /etc and so on..... Don't they appear as directories?

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 9:40:47 AM GMT+8, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

gajuph4pre@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> You wrote: "You don't need a separate /usr or /usr/local or /opt or /srv under any conditions. That differentiation comes from a time when disks were tens of megabytes."
>
> Am I right to assume that when I install Debian, there won't be partitions such as /usr, /usr/local, /opt and /srv created on my hard disk drive?

You'll have those as directories if you don't have them as
partitions. Any partition (actually, the filesystem) can be
mounted as any directory.

> I only started to get serious about using Linux or *BSD distros after Edward Snowden's revelations. Prior to that I was a 100% Microsoft Windows guy.

You might want to let the Debian installer install a fully
encrypted root and home, if that's the sort of thing you're
worried about.

I ran DOS and Windows and was just tinkering around with Linux
in 1993 or so when a friend playfully touched the reset button
on my PC (it made sense in context) and destroyed the paper I
was writing. I decided I would see if I could get by with only
Linux. Turned out I can.

-dsr-