Re: Resolved (without understanding ; -) (was: Re: Error while trying to install openssh-server on Buster)

On Thu 23 Jul 2020 at 10:12:09 (+0200), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 02:22:32PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > On Wed 22 Jul 2020 at 14:23:48 (-0400), rhkramer wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > The basic solution involved stopping gparted [...]
>
> > AIUI gparted locks up the disks when you run it [...]
>
> Whatever "locking up the disks" means, in this context.
>
> Not criticising you, don't get me wrong. Just pointing out what
> kind of Rube Goldbergian dystopia we are heading to. There are
> many layers involved, and each one has a different notion of
> what a "disk" is and what "locking up" means. Under some moon
> phases, some of the layers mix.
>
> Hours of fun :-)

Sure, I agree. But they're hours I don't really have. That's one
reason why I don't run a DE: I just don't understand what's going on
behind my back, and I don't enjoy that.

To start at the beginning; I looked up   man gparted   (it's installed,
but I don't use it) and saw that, unlike {f,g}disk, the device argument
is optional. I assumed that it would be unset when the program is run
from an icon. And assuming the OP was still running, IIRC, KDE, I put
two and two together.

Further down the page, it says "You can help to reduce the risk of
data loss by not mounting or unmounting partitions outside of the
gparted application while gparted is running." I assumed that KDE
might take it upon itself to prevent that happening.

I then searched for "lock" in gparted's Changes file. It mentions
that hal-lock is now used instead of fdi-policy. So I looked up
man hal-lock   and it says "hal-lock can be used to acquire a lock
on a given interface either on a given device or globally." So that
gave a mechanism.

I don't think it's a bad idea: it seems better to have people posting
"Where's my stick?" when their newly plugged-in USB stick fails to get
automounted, rather than "Where's the partition with all my data on it?"
But I prefer, as a sysadmin, to take such responsibilities on myself.

I did wonder about  apt-get install  and mount, but as I don't have
anything to install at the moment, I left on the side. Perhaps I'll
wrap the command in strace next time I use it.

Of course, you can always read my "AIUI" to mean I don't understand it
very well.

Cheers,
David.