Resolved (without understanding ;-) (was: Re: Error while trying to install openssh-server on Buster)

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 7:08:40 AM EDT Andrew Cater wrote:
> It should "just work" - if you can "ssh localhost" - the server is running.

Thanks for the reply.  The problem is solved, and I'll mention the solution
here with maybe more details in replies to Greg Wooledge and/or  Jonathan
Dowland.

The basic solution involved stopping gparted (I don't know why, but google
found a page that described the same problem I had and the page said it
occurred with gparted running and went away with gparted stopped.

Anyway, what I wanted to say here is that it did not "just work" while I had
that _.mount error, but I probably should have quoted a little more of the
output from apt-get install before I stopped gparted.  Here it is

<quote>
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ssh.service → /
lib/systemd/system/ssh.service.
rescue-ssh.target is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.
Failed to start ssh.service: Unit -.mount is masked.
invoke-rc.d: initscript ssh, action "start" failed.
● ssh.service - OpenBSD Secure Shell server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ssh.service; enabled; vendor preset:
enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
     Docs: man:sshd(8)
           man:sshd_config(5)
dpkg: error processing package openssh-server (--configure):
 installed openssh-server package post-installation script subprocess returned
error exit status 1
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u4) ...
 openssh-server
Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit -.mount is
masked.
</quote>

After shutting down gparted, I ran apt-get install openssh-server again, and
did not get the message about _.mount being masked, and openssh-server is now
running.  (With a slight problem which I'll look into (I can't ssh in as root
-- but I assume I can find that problem -- I suspect something is preventing
remote logins by root -- I know I've seen an option or such to do that, so I
think I just have to find it again).)

Hmm, I wrote enough here that I might as well try to finish the story, with
what I might have written to Greg and/or Johnathan, which is basically the
following:

It's peachy that the problem is gone, but I really don't understand anything
about what the problem was or why shutting down gparted solved it.

I may (or may not) spend a little time digging into it (starting with finding
out what a unit is in systemd, and does that somehow relate to a mount point,
maybe in root, or if not, what specifically does -.mount refer to, and why it
has to use a - (in fact, a double -) instead of a /).  And I will rant, just a
little bit ;-)

Slight rant (something to ignore): I mean, it is frustrating that I now have
to learn something new to do the same things I used to be able to do without
learning that new thing.  (The new thing being systemd.  I might consider
switching to a distro that does not use systemd, but I suppose that is just
burying my head in the sand.)