Re: Resolved (without understanding ; -) (was: Re: Error while trying to install openssh-server on Buster)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 06:48:10PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 23 Jul 2020 at 10:12:09 (+0200), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > Hours of fun :-)
>
> Sure, I agree. But they're hours I don't really have. That's one
> reason why I don't run a DE: I just don't understand what's going on
> behind my back, and I don't enjoy that.

Same here. Actually, even the DBus daemon is banned from my box,
which, as a (welcome) side effect keeps miscellaneous other stuff
at a safe distance ;-)

> To start at the beginning; I looked up [...]

Good analysis.

> I don't think it's a bad idea: it seems better to have people posting
> "Where's my stick?" when their newly plugged-in USB stick fails to get
> automounted, rather than "Where's the partition with all my data on it?"

Definitely, yes.

What miffs me most about those DEs is, that they fall into that antipattern
of "reinventing the world" instead of trying the slower path and negotiate
with what's there. Kind of xkcd 927 over and over again.

It's as if they were copying the disruptive antipatterns of proprietary
software companies. But we don't need those antipatterns in the free
software context, do we?

Cheers
-- t