Re: Slic3r --gui won't run

On Du, 19 iul 20, 14:45:27, Gene Heskett wrote:

> That would be very nice, but the docs for pinning stuff is damned near
> a secret,

The documentation is in 'man apt_preferences', 'apropos' (a.k.a. man -k)
finds it.

> and involves (apparently) more ways than the /e/a/preferences.list.
> I've managed to do it but can't recall how I did it 4 years later. And
> I've done it on a rpi4 to lock in the preempt-rt kernel I built and
> installed, but rpi4.coyote.den/etc/apt/preferences.d is empty.  So I'm
> zip help, sorry.

Besides the /etc/apt/preferences file and files under
/etc/apt/preferences.d the following mechanism (that I'm aware of)
exist:

 - Repositories with different priorities (experimental, -backports)

   These are equivalent to pinning the entire source to the same
   priority

 - The Default-Release setting and the '-t/--target-release' switch

   This sets the priority for the corresponding release to 990.

APT (the package manager) will also respect dpkg 'hold's, which are the
simple version of "pin this package to whatever version is installed
right now". Synaptic probably also knows about these.

Aptitude in addition has 'hold's, mostly used to tweak the (interactive)
dependency resolver. As far as I know these are only used by aptitude.

Hope this helps,
Andrei