Re: Slic3r --gui won't run

On Sunday 19 July 2020 14:27:24 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sunday, July 19, 2020 01:05:55 PM Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Now apt-get is bitching because it thinks I'm asking for version
> > 3.0.3 but only 3.0.4 stuff is available:

> >  libalien-wxwidgets-perl : Depends: libwxgtk3.0-dev (< 3.0.3~) but
> > 3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed
> >                            Depends: libwxgtk-media3.0-dev (< 3.0.3~)
> > but 3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed
> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> >
> > WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE BROKEN PACKAGE????????????????????????????
>
> I just solved a very similar problem (for ssh) with the aid of google
> and such (I'm sort of proud of myself ;-)
>
> Anyway, what I had to do, for the package that had the message about
> the newer package to be installed, I had to do something like this
> (may not have the syntax exactly right, and the first time I ran it, I
> ran it with -s just to see what was going to happen):
>
> apt-get -s install libwxgtk3.0-dev=3.0.3
>
> In my case, the message specified an old version in a form like:
> 3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1, so I'm not sure the 3.0.3 is specific enough.  Or
> maybe the equal sign can be replaced with a < or a <= (=<)?
>
> After I successfully installed the old version of the file that was
> holding me back (openssh-client), then I was able to install my
> desired package (openssh- server).
>
> Aside: The funny thing to me (which someone might comment on) -- I
> absolutely know that the old version of openssh-client is installed
> (by running ssh -V), but I ran apt-get again (after installing
> openssh-server) and it tells me that openssh-client is the latest
> version, which is pretty much a clear lie.
>
> But, ok.  Somewhere, during my reading / googling before solving the
> problem, I came across the word "pin" (or pinned) and I was looking
> for an apt-get or other command to find out which packages might be
> pinned (to the best of my knowledge, I've never intentionally pinned
> anything on my Wheezy installation (which, by the way, is what I was
> dealing with).
>
> I'm guessing that someone would describe the situation of the old
> openssh- client as being pinned, but does that word ever appear
> somewhere to describe the situation?  (I mean like, can you run
> apt-get (or something else) and get a list of pinned packages with the
> word "pinned" next to them?

That would be very nice, but the docs for pinning stuff is damned near a
secret, and involves (apparently) more ways than
the /e/a/preferences.list. I've managed to do it but can't recall how I
did it 4 years later. And I've done it on a rpi4 to lock in the
preempt-rt kernel I built and installed, but
rpi4.coyote.den/etc/apt/preferences.d is empty.  So I'm zip help, sorry.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis