Re: Slic3r --gui won't run

On Sunday, July 19, 2020 01:05:55 PM Gene Heskett wrote:
> Now apt-get is bitching because it thinks I'm asking for version 3.0.3
> but only 3.0.4 stuff is available:

>  libalien-wxwidgets-perl : Depends: libwxgtk3.0-dev (< 3.0.3~) but
> 3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed
>                            Depends: libwxgtk-media3.0-dev (< 3.0.3~) but
> 3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1 is to be installed
>
> WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE BROKEN PACKAGE????????????????????????????

I just solved a very similar problem (for ssh) with the aid of google and such
(I'm sort of proud of myself ;-)

Anyway, what I had to do, for the package that had the message about the newer
package to be installed, I had to do something like this (may not have the
syntax exactly right, and the first time I ran it, I ran it with -s just to see
what was going to happen):

apt-get -s install libwxgtk3.0-dev=3.0.3

In my case, the message specified an old version in a form like:
3.0.4+dfsg-4~bpo9+1, so I'm not sure the 3.0.3 is specific enough.  Or maybe
the equal sign can be replaced with a < or a <= (=<)?

After I successfully installed the old version of the file that was holding me
back (openssh-client), then I was able to install my desired package (openssh-
server).

Aside: The funny thing to me (which someone might comment on) -- I absolutely
know that the old version of openssh-client is installed (by running ssh -V),
but I ran apt-get again (after installing openssh-server) and it tells me that
openssh-client is the latest version, which is pretty much a clear lie.

But, ok.  Somewhere, during my reading / googling before solving the problem,
I came across the word "pin" (or pinned) and I was looking for an apt-get or
other command to find out which packages might be pinned (to the best of my
knowledge, I've never intentionally pinned anything on my Wheezy installation
(which, by the way, is what I was dealing with).

I'm guessing that someone would describe the situation of the old openssh-
client as being pinned, but does that word ever appear somewhere to describe
the situation?  (I mean like, can you run apt-get (or something else) and get
a list of pinned packages with the word "pinned" next to them?