Re: sed:awk:perl::rock:paper:chainsaw [was Re: Using .XCompose]

On 2020-07-18 14:56, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 09:59:46AM +0000, davidson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 Ajith R wrote:
>On Thursday 16 July 2020 4:54:09 AM IST davidson wrote:

[snip]
>>   $ sed 'y/\xc2\xa0/%/' somefile
>
>An off topic question: of sed, awk and perl, if I am to chose one to
>learn, which would you suggest.

Sed (and awk) are much lighter than perl. So if you find yourself
peppering your shell scripts with lots of little calls to "that
other program", you'll be better off with those two.

Perl will be useful if you are doing the heavy lifting in perl
itself. Then it amortizes (I think this goes for both: computer
run time and your brain time).

Cheers
-- t
You see perl one liners and sed mentioned loads more than awk on the interweb.
Don't know why that is.
mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31