Re: Using .XCompose

On Thursday 16 July 2020 4:54:09 AM IST davidson wrote:

> And so you have set up known environmental conditions for subsequent

> tests of that mechanism.

Yes, that was my intention

> which permits me to toggle my keyboard layout between two alternatives

> ("us" and "ru") by striking capslock.

I will do something similar once I get my  keyboard layout working properly.

> So I am prone to conclude that whatever your layout may have been

> prior to step (1), it was not a dual-layout setup.

> (This relates more to my own curiosity than to your primary concern.)

No it is not. As of now, I am manually loading my Malayalam layout using

setxkbmap

> And though it does not have to do with the test you are conducting

> here, I do remain curious about whether your day-to-day keymap table

> *does* include such mappings. It is entirely possible that it does.

> I imagine at this point you may be able to work this out for yourself,

> if it interests you.

I checked and did not find the character.

> It is cool you experiment with what you don't understand. That is how

> mistakes are made, and mistakes are the best teacher of all.

That is true

> This is probably a good spot to recommend a coherent and

> comprehensive, well-curated beginner's guide to bash:

>   BashGuide - Greg's Wiki

>   http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

> It is a shame if good learning resources are not used.

Will go through

> > 6) The command grep "W" .XCompose | tr $'\xc2\xa0' \! returns

> > grep "W" .XCompose | tr $'\xc2\xa0' \!

> This does not seem to make any sense. Where is the output?

Sorry for the mistake. The output is

<W> : "This replaces W"

> It looks to me like you may have pasted a copy of the command, where

> you meant to paste its output.

Yes, that was the mistake.

> What you seem to be *showing* us, is that the command produced as

> output a copy of itself. But you don't seem to be *saying* this, or

> reasoning as if that were so, since whatever the output was, further

> below you seem inclined to think that it indicated the file contained

> no nonbreaking spaces.

Yes, that was my conclusion.

>   $ sed 'y/\xc2\xa0/%/' somefile

An off topic question: of sed, awk and perl, if I am to chose one to learn,

which would you suggest. I wanted to do some substitutions. I read about them

and decided on PERL because from what I understood, it has better support for

regular expressions and do almost everything that sed and awk could do. Have I

made the right decision?

> (However, one advantage of using the C-style byte-constants (\xHH)

> instead is that it is easy for everyone to see what they are, the web

> archive won't replace them with normal spaces, etc.)

Using the Unicode sequence also gives the same advantages, doesn't it?

I find it difficult to get the "translation" between the unicode code values and

the hexadecimal/octal representation.

> David Wright I believe explained this one already. But I do agree with

> you that Original Petitioner would be much funnier.

Funny it is. To me, poster was (until a few emails back) a paper with

something written in it and stuck on wall .

> OP, on the other hand, always conveys meaning in this sort of forum.

Sure, it does.

> But OP, wHaT WoUlD tHe CoMmUnItY tHiNk about your keyboard layout?

> Have you petitioned your local Keyboard Zoning Board for a custom

> keymap easement and filed the necessary declarations?

With your sense of humor, I am unsure of the meaning of the weird casing of

your sentence. On a serious note, I am unaware of anything like a local

Keyboard Zoning Board for Kerala / India. Even if one is there, I will tackle

it later. Anyway, there is no need for any formalities for customising my

computer.

> I do not know whether you are familiar with what are called "Regular

> Expressions", often abbreviated as regex.

Yes, I know a bit about regex though not an expert. And I had read about sed

earlier, but haven't used it favouring perl.

> %% B. Any command (grep included) gets its arguments from the shell

>   BashGuide/SpecialCharacters - Greg's Wiki

>   http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/SpecialCharacters

This isn't something that I was familiar with. Will read.

> [end of overly looong exposition]

Thanks for taking the time and the effort to explain