Re: Using .XCompose

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 05:34:59AM +0000, Ajith R wrote:
Hi,
I am new to Linux and Debian.

That is good news. Welcome.

I am trying to build a custom layout for my mother tongue Malayalam
(India, Kerala).

That sounds like an interesting challenge.

Your original message appears to be in html format. The subscribers to
this mailing list use a great variety of clients to read the messages
here. Many of these clients display only plain text, and some of them
(such as my own) will tend to mangle html messages beyond recognition,
in a heroic effort to transform html into plain text.

It is therefore the convention on this list to send plain text
messages only. If you are able to conform to this convention, your
messages will reach a wider audience, and you may get more --and
better-- responses as a result.

The rest of my reply is merely the remainder of your original message,
--quoted, but converted to plain text (using the lynx text browser)--
for the benefit of subscribers who, like me, use mail clients (eg,
alpine) which badly mangled the original.

(NB: Setting up an environment that displays Malayalam glyphs as
intended is a separate matter, outside my scope here.)

Good luck with your project.

The problem I am trying to tackle:

One of the Malayalam letters, ങ (U+0D19), is used much more commonly
in its geminate form which is composed of three unicode charcters

  ങ ് ങ (U+0D19 U+0D4D U+0D19)

which will yield the geminate form

  ങ്ങ

So, when I type, I want the ങ to be replaced with ങ്ങ.

The keyboard layout is working fine as far as I can see. It does
yield the correct letters. What doesn't seem to work is the
.XCompose mechanism. Please tell me what I am missing.

Relevant part of my layout file /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/in
-----------------------
partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "mal_puthuniraA" {
     name[Group1] = "Malayalam (Puthu Nira Aarambham)";
     key.type="FOUR_LEVEL";
key <AC09> { [ U0D41, U0D19, U0D4E, U0D71] }; // ു MALAYALAM VOWEL SIGN U, ങ്ങ MALAYALAM LETTER NGA geminate form, ൎMALAYALAM LETTER DOT REPH, ൱ MALAYALAM NUMBER ONE HUNDRED
 include "level3(ralt_switch)"
};
----------------------
My .XCompose file in my home directory is
---------------------
include "%L"
<XK_Shift_L> <U0D19> : "ങ്ങ"
<U0D19> : "ങ്ങ"
ങ : "ങ്ങ"
---------------------
I found the name XK_Shift_L in keysymdef.h file. I tried the unicode character and its code as well to
identify the keypress. I tried with only one of the lines as well.
XCompose(3) — libx11-doc — Debian buster — Debian Manpages was consulted. I have tried restarting after
making changes which didn't help.
Am I referring to the keypress correctly? What am I missing?
Thanks for your help,
ajith

                       XCompose(3) — libx11-doc — Debian buster — Debian Manpages

--
What do you want to take off? [hrzF or ?*] F
You were wearing a +0 robe.  The frost giant turns to flee.