Re: Installation Problem

On Tue 14 Jul 2020 at 16:59:00 (-0400), Dan Ritter wrote:
> Vlad Dragomir wrote:
> > I am very new to Debian, and would like to apologise first, I might not know how exactly to describe this issue.
>
> Everybody starts somewhere.
>

> > I tried to install Debian on an unused laptop I'm having, using the iso downloaded from this torrent:
> > https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.4.0+nonfree/amd64/bt-dvd/firmware-10.4.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso.torrent
>
> Pretty good choice.
>
> > It started wonderfully, the installation went smoothly until it tried to connect to the Internet. It asks for additional non-free firmware, unfortunately it's an Intel wireless card. It gives a list of files it needs in order to configure the network, which is I suppose a good start. Still,
> > 1.	I have no idea where to find those files, Google didn???t help me much with this.
> > 2.	If I find those files, I don???t know where exactly to paste them on the installation drive for it to see them.
> > 3.	This installation iso pretends it contains non-free firmware already, so normally it shouldn???t ask for those files. Am I missing something?
> > Therefore, I had to cancel the installation, at least for the time being. It would be rather useless to have a system without Internet access.
>
> Let's find out which Intel wireless card you have. With the
> installer running, choose "start local shell".
>
> Then type
>
> lspci
>
> and look for lines with Network in them. They should start with
> a number like 03.00 or something like that.
>
> Tell us the output from
>
> lspci -vv ####
>
> where #### is the number from the Network line.

It seems odd that it's asking for such a long list of files.
I assume it would be happy with just one of them, and it's
just giving alternatives in order of preference.

iwlwifi-8000C-36.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-35.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-34.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-33.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-32.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-31.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-30.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-29.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-28.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-27.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-26.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-25.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-24.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-23.ucode
iwlwifi-8000C-22.ucode

But even my netinst ISO (firmware-10.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso 394265k Nov 16  2019)
contains the first and last of these:
iwlwifi-8000C-22.ucode     2120860 Aug 22  2019
iwlwifi-8000C-36.ucode     2486572 Aug 22  2019

BTW googling the filename gave me a link to
https://github.com/wkennington/linux-firmware/blob/master/iwlwifi-8000C-36.ucode
as the second hit.

Cheers,
David.