Re: Installation Problem

On 7/14/20 1:48 PM, David Christensen wrote:
On 2020-07-14 13:33, Vlad Dragomir wrote:

I tried to install Debian on an unused laptop I'm having,

It asks for additional non-free firmware, unfortunately it's an Intel wireless card. It gives a list of files it needs in order to configure the network, which is I suppose a good start. Still, 1.    I have no idea where to find those files, Google didn’t help me much with this. 2.    If I find those files, I don’t know where exactly to paste them on the installation drive for it to see them. 3.    This installation iso pretends it contains non-free firmware already, so normally it shouldn’t ask for those files. Am I missing something? Therefore, I had to cancel the installation, at least for the time being. It would be rather useless to have a system without Internet access.

Proprietary Wi-Fi firmware is an unending PITA with FOSS.

I buy laptops with wired Ethernet interfaces to avoid this problem.  I then use the wired connection for installation and for installing Wi-Fi firmware.

If I needed to install Debian on a laptop without Ethernet, I would buy a USB Ethernet adapter.  The key is finding one that is supported by FOSS OOTB.  Unfortunately, I do not own one and cannot make a recommendation.  (And, these products constantly change.)  I would  STFW for mailing list and forum archives for USB WiFi adapaters that are known to work with Debian 10.  If you are willing to buy used equipment (if only to do the install and firmware for the build-in Wi-Fi), eBay is a good source.

David

If you need a USB<->Ethernet dongle, I recently purchased one, through Amazon. It is a Gigabit/USB3.0 dongle that works nicely with Debian.

The manufacturer is "plugable" (plugable.com) and the device is model USB3-E1000.

As an aside, for anyone that might be interested, I tested it successfully with both a Samsung Galaxy S9 cellphone and a Lenovo Tablet TB-8504F, which surprised me a bit. I've also tested on two other Android tablets, where it did not work, so mileage will vary.

Regardless, it works with Debian without a hitch. ;)

Bob