Re: Package management

On Fri 03 Jul 2020 at 06:37:07 (-0400), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, July 03, 2020 06:18:04 AM l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> > 2 juil. 2020 à 21:37 de baabu3e@gmail.com:
> > > Im trying to install all Deb files through single name
> > >
> > > Apt-get install multimedia
> > > Multimedia need have all multimedia related packages ex : gstremer ,alsa,ffmpeg,vlc etc..
> > >
> > > Please guide me how to do
> > >
> > Considering the answers you've got so far, I have nothing better to suggest
> > but a single question because you've intrigued me ;) => Do you mind
> > sharing a practical use case of such a request please?
> >
> > Indeed, from my side, even if I like the technical aspect of this request I
> > can only see problems ahead: numerous redundant packages / choice overload
> > in your desktop environment, increase of the attack surface, required
> > storage space, upgrades more frequent/time-consuming...
> >
> > NB: If multimedia is your hobby or job and you need to have the whole
> > toolset, maybe you should look for a specialized Linux distribution
> > instead (AV Linux, UbuntuStudio, LibreELEC...).
> > See https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Multimedia&or
> > igin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=A
> > ll&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=All&stat
> > us=Active#simple
>
> I'm not the OP, nor is multimedia my job (it might be, or maybe has been at
> times, a hobby), but I have another use case (or two) for such a request.
>
> if I was just getting into a field (e.g., multimedia), or switching OSs /
> distros, I might want to try out all the available multimedia apps and then
> (1) pick the best (suited to me) app of a type I'm used to, or (2) to see what
> other types of multimedia apps might be available with features I might not
> have even known exist.

Have you tried out your suggestion?

My system has just over 2000 packages installed. It can record, it has
a few players, and it has some audio applications for processing WAVs,
MP3s, MIDI, etc. I have all those mentioned by the OP except vlc (which
therefore gets included below). /usr occupies 8.6GB.

There are 27 multimedia-* packages in buster/main (see Didier's list),
so I simulated installing them. I won't post the console log as it's
280kB, but here's a digest:

NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following additional packages will be installed:
[ 361 lines ]
Suggested packages:
[ 143 lines ]
Recommended packages:
[ 11 lines ]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
[2 packages ]
[ 369 lines ]

0 upgraded, 1818 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Seriously, who do you want to inflict this on.

Cheers,
David.