Re: Package management

On Friday, July 03, 2020 06:18:04 AM l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
> Considering the answers you've got so far, I have nothing better to suggest
> but a single question because you've intrigued me ;) => Do you mind
> sharing a practical use case of such a request please?
>
> Indeed, from my side, even if I like the technical aspect of this request I
> can only see problems ahead: numerous redundant packages / choice overload
> in your desktop environment, increase of the attack surface, required
> storage space, upgrades more frequent/time-consuming...
>
> NB: If multimedia is your hobby or job and you need to have the whole
> toolset, maybe you should look for a specialized Linux distribution
> instead (AV Linux, UbuntuStudio, LibreELEC...).
> See https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=Multimedia&or
> igin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=A
> ll&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=All&stat
> us=Active#simple

I'm not the OP, nor is multimedia my job (it might be, or maybe has been at
times, a hobby), but I have another use case (or two) for such a request.

if I was just getting into a field (e.g., multimedia), or switching OSs /
distros, I might want to try out all the available multimedia apps and then
(1) pick the best (suited to me) app of a type I'm used to, or (2) to see what
other types of multimedia apps might be available with features I might not
have even known exist.