Re: Package management

Le 03/07/2020 à 11:43, Baabu JOY a écrit :
> Hello Mr didier
>                            Thanks for your valuable reply . i need depth
> understanding how ur doing (apt search multimedia-animation/stable 0.7 )
> Im also expecting same output like this . can u please share information
> regarding this
> $ apt search multimedia-
> [...]
> multimedia-ambisonics/stable 0.7 all
>   Packages for working with ambisonics (3D surround sound)
>
> multimedia-animation/stable 0.7 all
>   Packages for creating animations
>
> multimedia-audio-plugins/stable 0.7 all
>   Audio processing plugins, synths and virtual instruments

- please reply to the debian.user mailing list, not to me personnaly: one purpose of such a list is to have archives that users can search later in order to solve their own problems similar to those mentionned here :-)

- Didier is my firstname: don't call me Mr Didier, just call me Didier :-)

To answer your question:
$ apt search your_criteria
will search for packages either present in your local package database or in repositories you have allowed (consult /etc/apt/sources.list file and /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory) whose name contains the your_criteria string.

this searching operation is similar to the apt-cache search one, whose manpage is here:
 https://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-cache

Ypu will find additional information regarding Debian package management here:
 https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html

there is a brief memento (debian reference card) here:
 https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/refcard/refcard.en.pdf

Generally speaking, ou will find interesting Debian documentation at this webpage:
 https://www.debian.org/doc/index.en.html
and there is a wiki, too:
 https://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage