Re: Advice on hardware server to use for small a dedicated data center

	Hi.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 04:43:15PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > > Note: I will need some RAID solution hard or soft.
> >
> > Anything that's made by LSI if you need a hardware RAID controller.
> > Mdraid if whatever they sold you is not made by LSI.
>
> Counterpoint: mdadm on LSI controllers flashed to "IT" mode,
> i.e. just give all the disks to mdadm.

That's something one should do for these Adaptecs :) And that thing they
are putting into Proliants instead of the RAID controller.
If it's fast *and* does not drop disks from the array for no reason (HP,
I'm looking at you here) - stick with hardware RAID, always said that.
YMMV.
Your approach gives portability, nothing wrong with that.

> LSI controllers are fast but have a ridiculous control
> interface.

I agree with you. MEGACli was designed for Matrians, and storcli can be
hardly called an improvement over it. But at least you can monitor
separate disks via smartd/smartctl, so it's not that bad.

Reco