Re: How long will this take?

On Fri 19 Jun 2020 at 14:52:11 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> On 2020-06-18 19:13, David Wright wrote:

> > > Create the encrypted volume first, then write zeros to it. :)
> >
> > Duh! That should work a treat. My posting that example bore me fruit.
>
> Benchmark is one thing.  But, from a security viewpoint, writing zeros
> to an encrypted volume amounts to providing blocks of plaintext for
> corresponding blocks of cyphertext, thereby facilitating
> cryptanalysis.

So in view of the unlikelihood of badblocks actually logging something
more useful than SMART (where available) or normal disk write errors,
perhaps a compromise (for my use case) is to just write /dev/urandom
rather than /dev/zero. On this slow machine with an oldish PATA disk,
I can get about 75% speed from urandom, 15MB/s vs 20MB/s on a 29GiB
partition (no encryption). There's a noticeable slowdown because,
I presume, the machine runs a bit short of entropy after a while.

Cheers,
David.