Re: How long will this take?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 08:52:10PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
If you were preserving the disk contents (imagine there were
proprietary encryption software on it), and performed a "read test"
or ran badblocks on it, would that be sufficient to test the disk's
performance, as it's merely reading the sectors. Or do you have to
actually write, with badblocks -r for example?

That really depends on whether you want to test read or write performance. If you mean that you want to test for correct operation rather than performance then you need a write test to fully exercise the disk. Some errors will only be found on write, and conversely some read errors will be corrected (remapped) on write.

The only unaddressed point in my use case is the prevention of a
high-water mark, because zeroing the drive achieves precisely the
opposite. What ought I to be running, instead of badblocks -w -t random,
to achieve that goal?

Create the encrypted volume first, then write zeros to it. :)