Re: How long will this take?

On Mon 08 Jun 2020 at 20:22:39 (+0000), Matthew Campbell wrote:
> I bought a new 4 terrabyte hard drive that is connected with a USB cable using USB2. It took about 32 hours to read every sector on the drive to look for bad sectors.

I recently ran

# badblocks -c 1024 -s -w -t random -v /dev/sdz

on a 2TB disk with a USB2 connection. The whole process, writing and
checking, took 33⅓ hours. (The disk now holds an encrypted ext4 filesystem.)

> I started blanking the sectors using /dev/zero last Friday night. It still isn't done. Is there a way I can find out how much data a particular process has written to the disk? I'm using Debian 10.4.

I'm not sure why you'd do that. I've only zeroed disks to erase them
before I return them to the owner. (They're inside loaned computers.)

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb ibs=4096 count=976754646

… And I'd be using bs=1M and no count. I, too, determine progress with
# kill -USR1 <pid-of-dd>

Cheers,
David.