Sound in Jitsi/BBB [was: dvice on encrypted filesystem]

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 03:34:02PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> David (12020-06-25):
> > Hi, are you aware that Zoom has available a Linux-compatible
> > desktop client application that runs without a browser?
> >
> > It works on Buster, apart from needing to be told which audio
> > device to use every time it is run.
> > Available here:
> > https://zoom.us/download#client_4meeting
>
> Note that running untrustworthy proprietary software directly on your
> own system is significantly more risky than running it in the sandbox of
> a web browser.

100% agree.

[...]

> Anyway, I never used Zoom, but with Jitsi and Big Blue Button, I had no
> sound either with Firefox, but it worked with Chromium.

You don't use Pulseaudio? Current Firefoxen have ALSA enabled for Debian,
but their ALSA support seems to have fallen prey to bitrot. I didn't
manage to get them working.

If you insist in not having Pulse (I do), there's apulse (the package
is named likewise, I think). It plays LD_PRELOAD tricks to trick FF
into believing it's talking to Pulseaudio. I had success with that.

Cheers
-- tomás