Re: bug report

[it's likely you are not subscribed, sorry for the Cc: in case you are]

On Sb, 20 iun 20, 07:58:33, gilleswicki wrote:
> Hello, I found a bug on my system and tried to report it using the
> reportbug software. But as I don't know which packet is the cause of
> the bug, following the procedure of the reportbug software, I write
> here to ask what I should do.

Excelent!

> My bug is that when I try to change the brightness of the screen
> either using the keyboard shortcut for that or the cinnamon graphical
> tool, the value in the file "brightness" located in
> "/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0" changes but the brightness of the
> screen does not.

Annoying.

> I have Debian 10 with cinnamon as desktop environment.
> My hardware is a laptop "Why! P775DM3"
> What should I do to report this bug?

This appears to be an issue with the kernel (improper support for your
laptop), however...

... reporting the bug in Debian is not going to be very useful, because
the kernel in Debian 10 (also known as 'buster') is quite "old" now, and
because Debian uses mostly what the upstream kernel developers are
providing.

Even if a fix (patch) was available, it would have to be included in a
newer version upstream before even considering to apply it to the kernel
in buster (if ever).

My suggestion would be to first try the kernel from "backports", which
is reasonably recent.
https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

(you might want to install the package 'linux-image-amd64' from
'backports', this way your kernel will be automatically upgraded to the
newest one available in 'backports')

If this doesn't fix your issue and you are willing to experiment you
could compile the latest kernel from upstream. In case that doesn't
support your laptop's backlight controls either you could then report
the issue there (not Debian).

That would be outside the scope of this list, though you are likely to
receive some useful advice here for that as well if you ask.

Hope this helps,
Andrei