Re: technical terms overhaul

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 01:20:15PM +0200, deloptes wrote:
> Eike Lantzsch wrote:
>
> > I really like "redlist" and "greenlist". Traffic lights abound in every
> > country and are most probably well understood everywhere.
> > Have a nice day
> > Eike
>
> I think you deal with symptoms and not with the causes.
> Obama was 8y in power - what he did? Right - nothing!

I guess opinions on that will vary. I don't know whether this is a
language problem, but I feel you tend to state your opinions as if
they were facts: that's somewhat disturbing to me.

> You all are going crazy with this stuff. Changing names does not change
> reality. Also in the computer world no person is affected, so nothing
> racial here.

Language carries power relationships. At least this is something most
sociologists agree on these days [1], albeit there is criticism. So
"changing names does not change reality" is at least a [citation needed].

Therefore I find such discussions very welcome. Personally, I'd even
go out on a limb and risk the assertion that it's the discussion
itself which raises awareness of possible perception problems, not
its eventual outcome.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociology_of_language#Sapir-Whorf_Hypothesis

-- tomás