Re: Sharing /boot and /lib/modules with multiple distros

On 6/6/20 2:58 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 02:06:42PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I usually have three different distros installed.  I was wondering
if I could have a separate partition (possibly in an extended
partition) containing /boot and /var/modules that would be mounted
in each of the distros.  This would eliminate having kernels,
initrds and kernel modules duplicated for each distro, while
allowing me to run lilo from any of them.  The only file that would
need to be duplicated would be /etc/lilo.conf, and it doesn't take
much space.  Is this a workable idea?
Sounds feasible, but there are some snags to watch out for:

  - distributions tend to customize the kernel; some more,
    some less.
  - different distributions come with different kernel
    versions: if the versions don't differ too much (e.g.
    they get along with the same libc version) that might
    not bite you

Expect some tinkering.

Cheers
-- t

Right now, I am looking at combinations of Debian and Devuan, so I don't think that this should be an issue.

Marc