Re: Issue with disabling Intel turbo boost via systemd

Hi Reco,

Thank you for your feedback.

6 juin 2020 à 19:55 de recoverym4n@enotuniq.net:

> On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 05:39:00PM +0200, l0f4r0@tuta.io wrote:
>
>> I have frequent warning/4 entries in my journalctl like this one (dozens/day):
>> kernel: mce: CPU[X]: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled
>>
>> So I decided some time ago to create the following systemd service
>> (/etc/systemd/system/disable-turbo-boost.service) in order to deactivate my
>> Intel processor turbo boost:
>>
> *Shrugs*. "apt-get install sysfsutils" is the universal solution to such problems.

I've just installed this  package.
Am I supposed to add now "/sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo=1" in /etc/sysfs.conf?
Or maybe via a specific file in /etc/sysfs.d/ instead (I presume this directory is setup so changes are not overwritten during an upgrade)?

I hope it's going to work because it seems that sysfs is sometimes triggered too late to be taken into account correctly, on Ubuntu 12.04.3 at least (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sysfsutils/+bug/955918).
I'm not used at all to systool and I'm very suprised to see there is almost no documentation/tutorial about it on the internet.
People probably probe /sys directly to get what they are looking for...

>> Do you have an idea why my turbo boost was not active anymore please?
>>
> It's possible that you have laptop-mode-tools package installed. Among
> with the other things, it tries to control this particular sysfs knob.
> Search for /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/intel_pstate.conf, ensure that
> CONTROL_INTEL_PSTATE_NO_TURBO is set to one.

You get it right, I had laptop-mode-tools installed indeed! Well done ;)You know what, I've just uninstalled this package. Frankly I was not really happy with the concept anyway. As I don't have motivation/time to understand every kinds of tweaks it operates exactly, I prefer it doesn't modify my system  just to save some % of battery.

Best regards,
l0f4r0