Re: Sharing /boot and /lib/modules with multiple distros

On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 02:06:42PM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> I usually have three different distros installed.  I was wondering
> if I could have a separate partition (possibly in an extended
> partition) containing /boot and /var/modules that would be mounted
> in each of the distros.  This would eliminate having kernels,
> initrds and kernel modules duplicated for each distro, while
> allowing me to run lilo from any of them.  The only file that would
> need to be duplicated would be /etc/lilo.conf, and it doesn't take
> much space.  Is this a workable idea?

Sounds feasible, but there are some snags to watch out for:

 - distributions tend to customize the kernel; some more,
   some less.
 - different distributions come with different kernel
   versions: if the versions don't differ too much (e.g.
   they get along with the same libc version) that might
   not bite you

Expect some tinkering.

Cheers
-- t