Re: Can't get started

On Fri 29 May 2020 at 11:36:03 (+0300), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Jo, 28 mai 20, 09:00:52, David Wright wrote:
> > On Thu 28 May 2020 at 12:40:44 (+0000), Matthew Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > I will consider trying DHCP instead of static to see if it makes a difference.
> >
> > I have no experience of setting up wifi statically—I don't see how
> > this would work with a portable device.
>
> Every reasonable network configuration manager has the option for a
> static IP configuration, per WiFi. Network Manager certainly does and
> Wicd did as well last time I used it (many years ago).
>
> The installer will also ask for a manual configuration if DHCP doesn't
> work (regardless if WiFi or wired) and even if DHCP works, there is an
> option for static configuration.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The first half of my sentence
applies, at least post-installation. I have on occasion typed the
static information into the installer, but that info doesn't (didn't?)
survive the reboot (the subject of a thread in early 2018 where I was
misquoted).

In the second half, I wasn't doubting that static would technically
function, but that almost any user would be unsatisfied by a tablet
or laptop with a statically configured wifi connection. It "works"
about as well as locking one's OAP bus pass in a safe deposit box
at the local bank.

Cheers,
David.