Re: qemu/kvm reboot problem

Hi,

Gary L. Roach wrote:
> I load the software from an .iso file in my Download directory.

I wonder what this means in detail.

The normal procedure with an .iso image file and a qemu VM is
to start qemu with the .iso file as -cdrom and the (empty) virtual
hard disk image file as -hda.
Then one would let the system that comes up from the .iso image
install its payload as bootable operating system on the virtual
hard disk.

> If I run fdisk p on the Hard Disk I am using I get:
> Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
> /dev/sda1  *         2048 283117567 283115520  135G 83 Linux
> /dev/sda2       283117568 312581807  29464240 14.1G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Is this the view from the host operating system ?
Did you submit /dev/sda to qemu as -hda ?

> The drive is obviously marked as bootable.

As tomas already stated, this does not guarantee bootability.

Background:
The boot flag is a mark for generic MBR code which tells from where
to load a Volume Boot Record as next step of booting. One often can see
boot flag sensitive MBRs on freshly purchased USB sticks.

The usual boot loaders of Linux systems have other ways in their MBRs
to run the further boot stages up to the display of a boot menu.

> Do you need more information?

What .iso image did you use ?
Can it be downloaded for free somewhere ?

What qemu command lines did you use and why ?
Did you do anything else as preparation outside qemu (and why) ?

What did you do when qemu was running ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas