Re: qemu/kvm reboot problem

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 01:13:10PM -0700, Gary L. Roach wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> System: Debian Buster host
>
>               qemu/kvm virtual machine
>
>               CAELinux Guest
>
> I load the software from an .iso file in my Download directory. The
> guest files seem to be loading and working fine until I try to
> reboot the Guest. Then I get the following:
>
> Booting from Hard Disk...
> Boot failed: not a bootable disk
> No bootable device.
>
> If I run fdisk p on the Hard Disk I am using I get:
>
> Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
> /dev/sda1  *         2048 283117567 283115520  135G 83 Linux
> /dev/sda2       283117568 312581807  29464240 14.1G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
>
> The drive is obviously marked as bootable.

The mark on the tin doesn't necessarily corresponds with the tin's
content...

> [...] This drive is an extra
> one that was left over when I put two 1TB drives in the system. I
> reformated the drive , marked it as bootable and added a swap
> partition before loading the qemu/kvm software. Does anyone have an
> idea as to what I am doing wrong? Do you need more information?

I don't know under which conditions qemu issues the error message
above, but it could well be that it's missing a boot sector in the
/dev/sda1 partition. Something e.g. grub sould do for you (there
are other possibilities, though).

If all you did was partition, (possibly, depending on what "reformat"
means to you) make file systems and mark one partition as bootable,
the boot sector is most certainly missing.

AFAIK, the "bootable mark" is a reminiscence of bad old DOS times and
most software ignores it these days, anyway.

Cheers
-- t