Re: su does not work anymore

On 2020-05-02 at 08:32, Carl Fink wrote:

> On 5/2/20 7:19 AM, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Manual recovery like this *can* be done, but I do not recommend
>> embarking upon it without very strong reason. (In my case, I needed
>> to fix the filenames and permissions of my entire /home partition
>> anyway, and that includes irreplaceable data measuring in terabytes
>> and dating in some cases as far back as the '90s. Proper external
>> backup is now very much on my radar.)
>
> Why not just reinstall the OS and copy the /home/username files into
> the new /home partition? Reinstalling Debian is extremely easy.

For one thing, I have a fair few packages not necessarily installed
along with the OS, as well as some programs manually compiled and
installed et cetera; digging them all up and getting them back in place
would be a pain in its own right.

For another, I don't have the experience with reinstalling and not
losing data that way in order to trust the result. I've historically
always installed to new drives, and copied the data across from the old
ones. In this case, I didn't have a system to put either the old or the
new drives in with enough ports to hook all the drives up at once, and I
didn't want to risk installing over top and losing the undamaged
remnants of my system.

For a third, I'd have had to fix the /home permissions and filenames
regardless, because /home was on the same array as /var and had gone
through the same ownership-and-permissions metadata-lossy
filename-mangling recovery process.

What I ended up doing might be argued not to have been the most
objectively optimal option in hindsight, but it was what occurred to me
as making sense at the time, and it did end up working - and thereby
proving that (as I said) this type of recovery *can* be done, however
much I don't recommend embarking upon it.

--
   The Wanderer