Re: su does not work anymore

On 2020-05-02 at 06:57, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2020-05-02 10:57 +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
>
>> Am Samstag, 2. Mai 2020, 06:32:02 CEST schrieb Andrei POPESCU:

>>> Ugh. For such situations one should either have good backups or
>>> a reasonably fast and automated method of reinstalling the
>>> system.
>>>
>>> See also http://taobackup.com
>>
>> Thanks for sharing the nice link, Andrei. Unfortunately, I took the
>> novice approach on step 1 for the system files. I do not see any
>> issues on the system anymore tough. To be on the saver side, I also
>> did an "apt-get reinstall" of the relevant packages. I hope the
>> next "apt-get dist-upgrade" will eliminate any so far hidden
>> issues.
>
> There will likely be a few problems left.  Reinstalling packages
> fixes the owner and permissions of most ordinary files, but
> directories are left alone, and some programs (especially daemons)
> might find themselves unable to write where they are supposed to.

I had to fix my primary system from a more severe version of a similar
problem, a year or so ago; long story short, when I built the system I
put /var on a separate RAID array from the rest of the general install
(because, like /home, it's documented as needing potentially lots of
space so it didn't seem suited for the smaller-capacity SSD array), and
when that array died and the data-recovery service gave me my files back
they had passed the whole thing through a tool that assumes and applies
a generic Windows-filesystem permission set and mangles the filenames
into a form that uses only NTFS-legal characters.

It took me three-to-six months of painful, detailed effort, with
painstaking back-and-forth comparisons against a known-good system and
lots of manual scripting to redownload the /var/cache/apt/archives/
contents for verification, to be sure I had everything back together to
a sufficient degree. Even then, I'm still not sure things are 100%; just
yesterday, I found a trio of rarely-accessed files (under /home, and not
config files, fortunately) whose names still had underscores in place of
colons.

Manual recovery like this *can* be done, but I do not recommend
embarking upon it without very strong reason. (In my case, I needed to
fix the filenames and permissions of my entire /home partition anyway,
and that includes irreplaceable data measuring in terabytes and dating
in some cases as far back as the '90s. Proper external backup is now
very much on my radar.)

--
   The Wanderer