Re: Trouble installing wine on system with foreign arch

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 3:37 PM The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>> What do you get if you just try
>>
>> # apt-get install wine
>
>  # apt install wine32

The application I need to run requires the 32 bit version of wine, so if I can't get this installed, this will all become rather academic. But I can install wine. Really it just seems like the system doesn't like the i386 foreign arch, for some reason.

What (if anything) do you get from the following commands?

$ apt-mark showhold

Nothing.

$ grep wine /etc/apt/preferences /etc/apt/preferences.d/*

grep: /etc/apt/preferences: No such file or directory
grep: /etc/apt/preferences.d/*: No such file or directory

What does the following command report?

$ apt-cache policy wine wine32 wine64 libwine

wine:
  Installed: 4.0-2
  Candidate: 4.0-2
  Version table:
 *** 4.0-2 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
wine32:i386:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 4.0-2
  Version table:
     4.0-2 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main i386 Packages
wine64:
  Installed: 4.0-2
  Candidate: 4.0-2
  Version table:
 *** 4.0-2 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
libwine:
  Installed: 4.0-2
  Candidate: 4.0-2
  Version table:
 *** 4.0-2 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

That you don't need newer than what's in stable is good, because the
failure of any such packages to install is something we can probably
troubleshoot and get fixed. It might take a bit of working at, but this
sort of thing is resolved all of the time.

Let's hope.

--
Dale Harris
rodmur@maybe.org