Re: Trouble installing wine on system with foreign arch

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 2:39 PM The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
(Is there a reason you replied off-list? This sort of thing is generally
better handled in public, so that others can chime in if they have
something to contribute.)

Sorry, user error.

(It does seem *really* odd to be getting Debian packages from an
OpenSUSE repository, but I have no specific reason to expect them to be
a problem.)

I don't disagree.

...that looks like an unnecessarily complicated install procedure, to
me. I'm not sure what the benefit is supposed to be, vs. just installing
the wine or wine-development package from the official Debian
repositories. I certainly don't think it came from anyone on the Debian
side, nor is it something that Debian is likely to particularly support.

Right, well, I went that route hoping to get anything installed, because wine32 was failing.

What do you get if you just try

# apt-get install wine

 # apt install wine32
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 wine32:i386 : Depends: libwine:i386 (= 4.0-2) but it is not going to be installed

? Without specifying any architecture, or bitness, or similar.

In my experience, with just the plain official Debian repositories, this
successfully installs Wine without issues. I'll admit that it's an older
version by this point, though.

Yeah, I've never had problems before now.

The wine-development package available in stable has version 4.2-4, and
the one in testing has version 5.4-1, at least as of a few days ago or
so. For myself, I run the latter, when I need to run Wine.

I don't necessarily need a newer version of wine, I just need anything, and that's what I'm not getting currently, because nothing is installing.

--
Dale Harris
rodmur@maybe.org