Re: Trouble installing wine on system with foreign arch

On 2020-04-27 at 12:43, Dale Harris wrote:

>> >  # apt install wine32
>
> The application I need to run requires the 32 bit version of wine, so if I
> can't get this installed, this will all become rather academic. But I can
> install wine. Really it just seems like the system doesn't like the i386
> foreign arch, for some reason.

Yeah, it looks like that's the issue that we need to troubleshoot.
Either that, or you've somehow gotten a version mismatch somewhere in
the i386 package stack, and we need to track down where and get it
brought back into balance.

>> What (if anything) do you get from the following commands?
>>
>> $ apt-mark showhold
>
> Nothing.

That's normal.

>> $ grep wine /etc/apt/preferences /etc/apt/preferences.d/*
>
> grep: /etc/apt/preferences: No such file or directory
> grep: /etc/apt/preferences.d/*: No such file or directory

That's a touch odd, but far from unheard-of, and not harmful.

>> What does the following command report?
>>
>> $ apt-cache policy wine wine32 wine64 libwine
>
> wine:
>   Installed: 4.0-2
>   Candidate: 4.0-2
>   Version table:
>  *** 4.0-2 500
>         500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
>         500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main i386 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> wine32:i386:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 4.0-2
>   Version table:
>      4.0-2 500
>         500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main i386 Packages
> wine64:
>   Installed: 4.0-2
>   Candidate: 4.0-2
>   Version table:
>  *** 4.0-2 500
>         500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> libwine:
>   Installed: 4.0-2
>   Candidate: 4.0-2
>   Version table:
>  *** 4.0-2 500
>         500 https://deb.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

And you still get those failures. That's *decidedly* odd.

What do you get from

$ apt-cache show wine wine32:i386 libwine

? The result is likely to be a bit lengthy; I specifically want to
verify the dependencies lines.

Based on looking at those dependencies on my own computer, I also want
to see what you get from

$ apt-cache policy libc6

as a starting point, because that's the only dependency of wine32 except
for libwine.

If that shows that the version you have installed is compatible with the
version listed as required in the wine32 dependencies from the previous
command, then I think my next fallback would be to ask for the output of
something like

apt-cache policy $(apt-cache show libwine | grep Depends | sed 's/[:,]
/\n/g' | sed 's/\([^ ]*\) .*$/\1/g' | grep -v Depends | sort -u )

which is kind of ugly and is likely to produce some lengthy output; the
idea is to let us check every dependency of libwine to see which one is
producing the version mismatch that's leading libwine to not be installed.

--
   The Wanderer