Re: The simpliest way to automatically rebuild few Debian packages ?

On 2020-04-21 20:53:42 +0200, deloptes wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
> > Patches don't add log messages in general. I meant like what dch
> > does.
> yes because you are working outside of debuild. debuild creates a build file
> that includes all the steps to produce the build
>
> in any case
>
> https://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/07/04/how-to-prepare-patches-for-debian-packages/
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/modify.en.html#fixupstream
> https://wiki.debian.org/debian/patches
>
> I think what you are missing is the quilt. when you register the patch in
> the debian build, the build log should include some lines like applying
> patch blah blah and at the end unapplying blah blah.

I think that you misunderstood. I'm not talking about the build log
(which the end user will never see), but the Debian changelog file,
which will be installed as

  /usr/share/doc/<bin_package>/changelog.Debian.gz

For instance, for libtool on my machines I can see e.g.:

libtool (2.4.6-13+local1) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium

  * Applied patch fixing bug #814091 (use a run path for tcc).

 -- Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net>  Mon, 17 Feb 2020 14:24:48 +0100

The patch system *alone* (via quilt or not) does not handle that.

https://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/07/04/how-to-prepare-patches-for-debian-packages/
mentions the use of dch, and it seems that the debdiff output
will contain the change in the Debian changelog file, but even
if apt-build can handle that (which I doubt), this is not OK
since after a package upgrade, the debdiff is no longer valid
(though the original patch may still remain valid, and will
generally do as I could see; for instance, my patch for the
above bug has been on the BTS for more than 4 years).