Re: Buster System hangs, requires hard reboot

On 4/21/20 2:47 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 April 2020 03:07:31 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

>>                            ^^^^^^
>>
>>> How old, and what color are your sata cables? [...]
>>
>> I know you like the red ones :-)
>>
> Chuckle, I have known about that dye color since we started importing cb
> radios from the J.A.Pan company in about 1973, the mike cable failure
> rate at about a years service was 100%. A one point in the leadup to our
> centennial in '76, we had 20 cables on backorder from every supplier
> claiming to stock them. The shop area at Norfolk 2-way Radio was stacked
> up with radios that needed cables. When they finally started to show up,
> I had Vi return quite a pile of them because they were the exact copies
> of the high failure rate product, and we wound up paying 2x for a Belden
> cable that was way too strong a coil, but if it was tied down, it didn't
> fail. I was a couple months getting caught up with that fiasco.
>
> You folks all think I'm nuts  over this, but you forget I have 1st phone,
> and C.E.T. cards in my card carrier and a 70+ year history of fixing
> things electronic.  All on a 8th grade education, beyond that I am self
> educated. I've often laughed over the (google for it) the kid with the
> Nack, that was me.  The Iowa test rated me at 147 back about '48, but as
> Korea was getting hot, a 98 on the AFQT got me 4F'd for life cause they
> knew I'd not take orders at all well. Suffice to say, the next best
> score among 130 some boys that day was 36. But I can't do that today as
> I've stared down the guy with the scythe twice now, and the first time,
> a pulmonary embolism cost me some points. Survival rate for those is
> about 2% and I can testify that its one hell of a scary way to die. But
> I've also quite a list of BTDT's I can talk about.
>
>> But this is a laptop, so...
>>
>> That said, given the log errors, I'd try first to reseat, then to
>> change the laptop's disk. This looks like flaky connector/hardware
>
> Absolutely.
>
>> Hoping it ain't the motherboard, though.
>>
>> And... backup. Backup :-)
>>
>> Cheers
>> -- t
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Ah, wisdom of the elders!  I usually consult the younger set for
computer stuff...  but will take your advice.  Even though I opened and
ran a computer store in 1980, I haven't opened a computer case to touch
the hardware in 20 yrs or so at least.  If I don't break anything, I'll
report back to the list.  Thanks much for the suggestions!

Regards,
Ralph