Re: Buster System hangs, requires hard reboot

On Tuesday 21 April 2020 03:07:31 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 10:59:49PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 20 April 2020 21:44:10 Ralph Katz wrote:
> > > Hi -- Please help me diagnose and fix this problem.
> > >
> > > My five month old Dell laptop with updated firmware and new
> > > up-to-date
>
>                            ^^^^^^
>
> > How old, and what color are your sata cables? [...]
>
> I know you like the red ones :-)

Chuckle, I have known about that dye color since we started importing cb
radios from the J.A.Pan company in about 1973, the mike cable failure
rate at about a years service was 100%. A one point in the leadup to our
centennial in '76, we had 20 cables on backorder from every supplier
claiming to stock them. The shop area at Norfolk 2-way Radio was stacked
up with radios that needed cables. When they finally started to show up,
I had Vi return quite a pile of them because they were the exact copies
of the high failure rate product, and we wound up paying 2x for a Belden
cable that was way too strong a coil, but if it was tied down, it didn't
fail. I was a couple months getting caught up with that fiasco.

You folks all think I'm nuts  over this, but you forget I have 1st phone,
and C.E.T. cards in my card carrier and a 70+ year history of fixing
things electronic.  All on a 8th grade education, beyond that I am self
educated. I've often laughed over the (google for it) the kid with the
Nack, that was me.  The Iowa test rated me at 147 back about '48, but as
Korea was getting hot, a 98 on the AFQT got me 4F'd for life cause they
knew I'd not take orders at all well. Suffice to say, the next best
score among 130 some boys that day was 36. But I can't do that today as
I've stared down the guy with the scythe twice now, and the first time,
a pulmonary embolism cost me some points. Survival rate for those is
about 2% and I can testify that its one hell of a scary way to die. But
I've also quite a list of BTDT's I can talk about.

> But this is a laptop, so...
>
> That said, given the log errors, I'd try first to reseat, then to
> change the laptop's disk. This looks like flaky connector/hardware

Absolutely.

> Hoping it ain't the motherboard, though.
>
> And... backup. Backup :-)
>
> Cheers
> -- t

Cheers, Gene Heskett