Re: Kind reminder: please don't reply to and/or quote spam, ever

On 19/04/2020 10:11, elvis wrote:

On 19/4/20 5:03 pm, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
<snip>

* DO report spam only by bouncing it to report-listspam@lists.debian.org

https://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser#posting-spam

Note: "bouncing" is also called "redirect" in some mail clients and is
*not* forwarding (should probably mention this in the wiki).U

In over 25 years of email I have never come across this, so much to learn so little time.

Any idea how to do this in Thunderbird?

It has a "edit as new message" where you can change the address etc and send? Would that be close to what is needed?

Kind regards,
Andrei

There is a "redirect" add-on [1] for Thunderbird. Its intended use is that if, usually in a workplace scenario, you receive a message that would be more appropriately handled by a colleague, you can pass it to that colleague. Additional headers are inserted so that it arrives in the colleague's inbox looking as if it it had been addressed to them and not to you. This may help your colleague if they file by sender, as it retains the original sender's address and not your address, as it would if forwarded in the usual way.

I'd invite Andrei to define what he means by "bounce". The vast majority of spam reporting agencies I have worked with ask for either headers, or the whole of the offending message sent as an attachment. No email client I have ever used has offered an option to "bounce".

[1] https://mailredirect.sourceforge.io/

--
Chris