Re: Moderation (not!) [was: Debian is testing Discourse]

On 2020-04-13, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

>>  Why are you doing this?
>>  I have two motivations. First, is moderation. Discourse has built in
>>  tools to allow community moderation on a much better scale than our email
>>  lists.
>
> This one is surprising to me. Why should community moderation be
> easier for discourse?

I don't know what those built-in tools referred to consist of. I do know
that mailing-list/newsgroup moderation has been done and done
effectively (I guess) for many years. It's unfortunate that another
method can't be added without subtracting the method(s) to which we've
all grown accustomed. I do kind of taste the irony of a policy of
moderation that doubtless would have excluded the head honcho, LT,
himself (who eventually was obliged to moderate his very abusive self
out of existence only under the threat of being outed by *The New
Yorker*).  What's good for the goose has not at all been good for the
gander, and being brave to power is so much more convincing than being
anal with the hoi polloi. But that's life in the big city, as Mom used
to say.