Re: Anti-malware for my personal Debian workstation?

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 10:41:12AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 11:37:24 +0300
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Du, 12 apr 20, 09:17:18, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 09:52:50AM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

[...]

> Interesting discussion. I've looked quickly at the other side [1],
> however, and there seem to be serious people and arguments in that
> direction as well. Are they so obviously wrong? [The objection Andrei
> notes here is specifically countered by the "curl | bash" defenders,
> although even I can see that the counter is not as strong as the
> objection.]
>
> [1]
> https://sandstorm.io/news/2015-09-24-is-curl-bash-insecure-pgp-verified-install

It boils down to whom you trust. Actually the sandstorm page is
a bit too much marketing-ish for my taste:

  "Some of the objectors, though, go a bit further: They claim
   that curl|bash is more open to attack that other distribution
   mechanisms [...]

   Of course, all content served by sandstorm.io – from software
   downloads to our blog – is served strictly over HTTPS [...]"

They are mixing up the chain of trust up to the distributor (package
signing) with the transport secutity (HTTPS). Why?

Remember that nice npm event-stream messup [1]? That's the dark
side of "iterate faster".

Trust is a complex beast. At its bottom it can't be completely
rational, but usually you trust a community because you somehow
think you understand how it works and you trust the information
chain linking you to that community.

Cheers
[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/773121/
-- tomás